As a student, you have many goals and aspirations, including the desire to work and earn money. With so many choices available, it’s difficult to know where to begin. The rise of the gig economy, passion economy, and remote working culture has created a plethora of opportunities for making money online. There are many jobs available online that do not require any investment if you are willing to put in the effort and time.
Online freelance jobs can be a dream for anyone as it not only helps you earn a decent side income but also gives you the comfort of working from home with flexible work hours.
Why should students work?
Working as a student not only helps you support your family, but it also gives you some financial independence for your social activities. There are several other advantages of working as a student:
- You learn the worth of your hard-earned money.
- It teaches important time management lessons.
- You understand the importance of budgeting while being young.
- It helps to boost your confidence for landing a job at a young age.
What are the key benefits and drawbacks of making money online?
Benefits of making money online include:
- It helps you to be self-sufficient.
- You do not have to burden your parents with your additional expenses.
- You learn new skills and gain knowledge.
- You become more exposed to the outside world. You also get valuable experience by working, earning, and studying simultaneously. As a result, this skill will put your time management abilities to the test.
Drawbacks of making money online.
- You need to be extra cautious of fraudulent websites. These websites can demoralize you and may not even pay you at all.
- Managing your time effectively is also essential otherwise you won’t be able to find a balance between your work and studies.
Top ways of making money online
1. Online Tutoring- Online tutoring is becoming a popular yet simple option for students as a result of technological advancements. Most people find it easy and convenient to learn from home. As long as you have expertise in subjects such as maths, science, English, economics, and political science, you can teach any of the subjects in the comfort of your own home. You can even teach yoga, music, dance, art, or conduct, baking classes.
2. Freelance Writing- Freelance writing is a convenient way for students to earn money online, especially if they have a knack for writing. It’s one of the best-paying jobs that does not require many tools. All you need is a laptop and access to high-speed internet. You can look for writing jobs on various freelancing writing job sites and websites, which will typically include blog posts and website copy. Different websites for content writing include:
Websites like Upwork and Fiverr allow you to share your writing and earn money online. Once chosen, you are supposed to write content for Instagram posts, company blogs, or simply about the company’s product offerings. Articles can be written on a variety of topics, including health, fitness, and so on.
3. Create a YouTube channel – YouTube is the most profitable platform for making money online without any investment. You must create your own channel, begin uploading videos, and grow your audience. Once you have a sizable number of views, you’re ready to monetize your account. Set up a Google AdSense account, and you’re done! You’ll soon be earning Rs 200-300 per thousand views. If your channel is popular with millions of views, each video can earn between 3 and 4 lakhs. But reaching there takes time, patience, and passion. When there is so much competition, it is difficult to build an audience. To get more subscribers, create the most creative and unique content possible.
4. Make a name for yourself as an Instagram influencer-Instagram is another platform rapidly rising in popularity and works as the best source for students to earn money online in India. Several students are trying to improve their profiles to gain more followers. If you enjoy having an online presence, you can use it to discuss a specific topic, which you are passionate about. The topic could be around make-up, workout, travel tips, or anything else you are good at. As your following grows, you get more opportunities to work with brands.
5. Work as a Virtual Assistant- One of the best ways to earn money online in India is to work as an online or virtual assistant. A virtual assistant is someone who performs all of the duties of an assistant but online. So, if you have good organizational and communication skills, this could be a good option for you. This job will allow you to earn more money whether you are a student or a professional. Every virtual assistant job is unique. The job profile of a virtual assistant includes data entry, social media management, and research. Some jobs also require you to transcribe notes and set reminders.
6. Start Blogging- Are you good at writing? If yes, then you should start blogging. Blogging is an excellent online job for students to pursue because it generates a significant amount of passive income. When a large number of people read your articles, you can start monetizing your blogs through ads.
You can share your knowledge on various topics on different blog sites. Some of the popular blog making sites are:
7. Sell Photographs- Do you have a penchant for photography? If yes, you can put your skills to use and earn money as it is one of the best ways for students to make money online. In today’s world, you do not even need a DSLR camera to take pictures; your phone’s camera is capable of capturing high-quality images. Your job would involve uploading photos to various websites while you work online. As a good photographer, you can make money by licensing your photos on websites like Shutterstock, Gettyimages.
8. Graphic Designer- If you have an eye for color schemes and good design, as well as an interest in art and computers, you should consider becoming a graphic designer. Graphic design, like other computer-related professions, is one of the most in-demand skills to learn to make money from home, and it will continue to be so for years to come. As Photoshop is so popular the internet is brimming with tutorials and guides on how to use it. LinkedIn learning.com has some excellent Photoshop tutorials.
If you want to be a freelance designer, all you need to do is start building your portfolio showcasing your good design skills, and to enhance your skill you can take up online courses on graphic designs Skillshare, Canva, Udemy.
9. Video Editing – Video is unquestionably the most effective marketing and promotional tool for music, products, services, news, education, and so on. Video editing is considered to become the next big thing! Video editing skills are finally gaining traction, and it is now the most important skill for making money online. There are plenty of detailed video editing tutorials available on YouTube and the Adobe website. You can find video editing courses on Udemy.com, LinkedIn learning.com
10. Become a Digital Marketer- Digital marketing is rapidly becoming one of the most in-demand jobs for students who are looking to make money online in India. As more and more brands seek a digital presence, they are increasingly offering ways for students to earn money by assisting them in tasks such as creating and managing small marketing efforts for their brands, primarily on social media or various websites. You can improve your skills by taking a certified digital marketing course with Upgrad MICA or Udemy. To gain work experience you can apply for an online digital marketing internship.
A student’s life provides the best learning opportunity. Make the most of your time. In your spare time, learn new skill sets and gain valuable life experience. Make it a daily habit to acquire new skills that will lead you to a brighter future. Use your time wisely and choose from the above-mentioned options that work best for you without investing.