It is becoming increasingly frequent for individual creators to communicate with their fans via online workshops. More creators are now part of this arrangement of delivering content online. The audience enjoys both the practical approach and the interactive nature of the whole exercise.
When you have a lot to say and share, topic selection becomes challenging. The first step to hosting a workshop and sharing your expertise with an audience is to select a topic. To make your life easier, let us look at the list of trending topics for online workshops.
List of Trending Online Workshop Topics
- Community Building
- Passion Economy
- Artificial Intelligence
- Augmented Reality/Virtual Reality
- Data Science
- Business Intelligence
- Venture Capital
- Project Management
- Content Marketing
- Social Media Marketing
- Digital Marketing
- Digital illustration
If you have expertise in one of these aspects, you have to further niche down(discussed in the later part) and come up with a topic. If not, then I will help find a perfect topic for you and your audience.
How do I choose the topic of my Virtual Workshop?
Content creation for an online workshop takes a tremendous amount of effort and time. If the subject is not close to your heart or you find it boring, the long-term commitment would become difficult.
Even if you see an extensive demand out of your competence, you should never go for it. Mostly, content creators share their expertise and choose aspects that they have mastered over the years. Often, people take up the subject and prepare it only to host an online workshop as well. If you are new to content creation and require help in understanding the whole process, you can check out our step-by-step blog on Online Workshop Planning and develop the best content delivery.
Here’s a step-by-step process of coming up with a perfect online workshop idea:
Brainstorm on the List of Probable Topics
If you do not have a list, then you should include everything you have read or considered to speak. Now, follow the below process:
- Begin by listing down the aspects that you love. The topic could be anything from music to cooking to hiking to cricket or anything else.
- List the areas in which you have expertise. For this, you can even think of school times and bring in content that you mastered a long time back.
- You can mention the topics you’d like to learn about.
- Add some of the ideas you like from the list of trending topics as well.
This activity will help you develop a diverse list of ideas different from your interests, expertise, and market trends.
Shortlist Some Topics
Here comes the part where we move closer to the decision. We will shorten the list and only include relevant subjects. Create a shortlist by following the below process:
- Make subject buckets and club similar topics like technology, marketing, and art together.
- Now, start to cross the points that you think would be difficult to master or present at the current stage(You can consider these later when you gain more experience and knowledge.)
- A new list will have the topics within your domain of knowledge.
- Rank each topic by your interest for moving on to the research part and save time.
Now, Niche Down on each Topic
When considering workshop ideas, you should determine whether people will be willing to pay for them. Therefore, it must solve a specific problem or appeal to the desires of a person or business. When you niche down, you also dive deep into a subject for more in-depth information. To find a niche, follow these steps:
- Go back to the topic buckets we made.
- Now, list down 5 niche topics for each broad topic.
- When it comes to Social Media Marketing, you can specialize on a specific platform such as Twitter or Facebook.
- In the same way, you can decide on other subjects as well.
- We will rank them in order of interest and relevance once you have determined the niche.
We will now list our niche topics based on their relevance.
Conduct a Market Research
The appropriate topic depends on the interest of the audience. For more attendees, always choose an in-demand topic. There are several ways to know if people are in search of information. This assessment would be helpful to come with a suitable topic. Follow these steps for making a decision:
- Go with the top-ranked topic of your list and do a quick Google search with a key phrase “(niche topic) online workshop”
- If you see many platforms offering courses in the niche, then it is a sign of a large audience.
- You can also use Google Keyword Tool to find the search volume and analyze the number of takers.
- If you want to be sure, run polls on your social media account to determine the interests of the audience.
- After this, you need to categorize each topic as either high demand, medium demand, or low demand.
For the moment, set the low-demand topics aside and go to the next step.
Decide basis the Quality and Quantity of the Content
You can choose a great topic with high demand but cannot ignore the content availability part of the particular niche. If you fancy your expertise for a workshop, then creating content won’t be a problem. In case you are trying a new thing, then looking for content availability becomes more important.
- Take up each high-demand topic and curate the content(An outline or list of modules would be fine.)
- Only list down the modules that guarantee top-notch content delivery.
- A generic workshop could become dull if you add content without much value.
- Do the same with each high-demand topic and come with the outline of content.
- Assign an estimated delivery time to each module.
- Add the time for each module and see if that exceeds 2 hours(preferred duration of an online workshop.)
- If you don’t get the desired session duration from the high demand list then move to a list of medium-demand topics.
- Perform the same exercise for this list as well.
- In case, the duration is still less, then you can go for the low-demand topics as well.
- Now, choose the topic for which you curated the highest amount of content and finalize it as the topic for your next online workshop.
The content is the ultimate parameter to determine a suitable topic as you wish to communicate the best to the audience. With generic content, you may end up sharing surface-level knowledge without bringing any change. Turning a beginner into an expert is only possible if there’s exceptional content available for delivery.
Come up with an Interesting Workshop Title
Once you decide on the topic for your next online workshop, you need to come up with a title that helps in getting more sign-ups. If you are looking to promote your workshop or increase the number of registrations, then you can read, How to Promote and Increase online Workshop Sign-ups.
In addition to connecting with the pain, problem, or desire of the audience, the title should also target the niche. A suitable topic is an initial step for getting people onboard.
A suitable online workshop topic could make or break the whole game for individual content creators. Making the most out of an online workshop requires substantial effort and expertise. Creators should not get influenced by the stats and start delivering on cash-rich topics if they cannot produce valuable and unique content.
An online workshop will work as your brand statement, and you should always aim to deliver the best, even if there are not enough takers. Work on building your community of people who admire your work and look forward to learning from you. You can always take the help of GoSocial and use our community platform to host workshops, online courses, go for live sessions, do private/group chat, implement discussion forums, and a lot more using a single platform.