It’s never too late nor too early to start making art. In fact, becoming an artist is a very achievable goal. If you have always dreamt of pursuing art as a career option, here are 6 steps that will help you start the journey.
Are you a creative person who loves making original and beautiful pieces of art? Do you doodle whenever you can, because it’s your favorite way to spend time? Do you want to become an artist full-time?
If you enjoy painting or graphic design or any art form, but don’t know how to make it your career, then read on. The article will take you through 6 ways that will help you kickstart a successful art career. These steps will tell you everything you need to know about becoming an artist and monetizing your art.
As you follow these steps, remember to keep track of your progress. Maintain a portfolio, pay attention to networking, and take time to enjoy the journey.
1. Make a plan
If you have decided to pursue art as a career, and become an artist, you need to have a plan. This is the most important step that is going to mark the beginning of your art career. At this stage, you need to map out your goals and decide how you are going to get there.
- Set a few short-term and medium-term goals that are realistic and precise. It could be anything that you wish to achieve in a few weeks or in a couple of months. For eg. starting your own website or having your art exhibited.
- If you don’t already know what specific art form you like, experiment with art career options. Start with one or two you find interesting, and spend some time with them. Remember, this can be a time taking process. So be patient.
- Once you have something in mind, assess yourself, and figure out what skills you need to learn to be good at that. Consult your peers about online classes.
- Decide how much time you would like to set aside for this. You can divide time on a daily basis or on a weekly basis. If you have commitments on weekdays, consider practicing art on the weekends. If you think you can be consistent, then reserve an hour every day to work on your passion.
- By now, you will have a workable plan that highlights what you want and how you can get it. Be sincere while you stick to the plan.
2. Develop your skills
It goes without saying that to become an artist, you need to have solid artistic abilities. If you are considering becoming an artist, chances are that you have a strong creative flair. It’s time to put your love for art to good use and start learning more about how to master it.
- Take up courses that will help you understand the technical aspects of your art better. You can consider online courses. There are plenty of them that offer the right scope of knowledge at quite a reasonable cost. You can also sign up for courses in institutes near you.
- You may have narrowed down the specific kind of art you wish to pursue, but don’t limit yourself. For instance, if you want to become an artist who specializes in digital art, don’t just sketch on a device. Try traditional methods of sketching and painting as well. This will help you understand color dynamics better and give you some great ideas.
- Be open to constructive criticism. Allow your work to be critiqued and work on improving the areas in which you are currently lacking.
3. Practice, Practice & Practice
The path to becoming an artist is filled with milestones of practice. Practice is what makes you perfect. It is best to do at least one little thing every single day that will help you get a little closer to becoming an artist.
- The most recommended way to stay motivated and driven is to take up regular challenges. Challenges give you a fun theme to stick to and inspire your ideas as well. There are many flexible and exciting themes that you can work on. Mystical window silhouette and hand-lettered posters are some famous examples.
- Apps like Instagram and GoSocial offer many such diverse and original challenges. Instagram hosts the popular Inktober challenge, while GoSocial has a long list of fun and interesting challenges that it hosts on its app.
- Earn rewards while you practice. The best way to do it is by participating in contests. Contests give you fantastic incentives to create your art. They keep an artist’s spark of motivation alive. Contests also promote the visibility of your artwork.
4. Build your portfolio
This is a crucial step that you need to nail to become an artist. A brilliant portfolio establishes your credibility and talent. It also sets you apart from amateur artists.
- Create an artist’s statement. This statement needs to cover a few key points about you. Consider writing who you are as an artist, what drives you, and what your personal style is like. Establish your persona in a crisp and clear way. You don’t need to be too artistic here.
- Your portfolio is your resume and it can make or break your art career. Compile the very best of your work in an impressive folder that is easy to handle.
- In the modern world, a digital portfolio is as, if not more important than a physical one. But, for both, it’s all about the details.
- Enhance your portfolio by paying attention to the presentation. You may have a collection of absolute masterpieces, but nothing works if the message sent across is wrong.
- Use high-quality images and clutter-free designs. Also, ensure that the portfolio is up to date.
5. Make yourself known
Now that you have established yourself as an artist, it’s time to showcase your work to the world. There are several ways to do so.
- It is no surprise that social media is the ultimate tool to become an artist. There are many platforms on which you can set up a profile to display all your wonderful artwork. Instagram and Pinterest are the most famous names in this regard. You can also look at GoSocial. This is a fun new social media app focused around creators. DeviantArt is another platform that artists prefer.
- Make friends in the art community, and start talking to them about your art. Join engagement groups and communities. Keep yourself informed on the latest art trends and never stop learning.
6. Monetize your art
So, you’ve finally become an artist. However, so far, you have only laid the groundwork for a successful art career. This is the stage in which you can make money out of your art.
- Make business cards to launch your art career to the next level.
- Take your work to art galleries and working professionals in your art domain. Present yourself as a talented professional, and be prepared to promote your art.
- Networking is the key to become an artist. Connect with other artists and get their valuable feedback on how to become a better artist. A good social network can give you immense exposure and even grow your client base. The earlier mentioned apps in the article open up such avenues for you. Some of them even reward you for your content and allow you to build a strong community and following. Here, it’s all about you and your art.
- Set a price for your pieces and start selling them. You can do so in art galleries and exhibitions. Online galleries like Saatchi Art and ArtFinder also extend such opportunities.
- There are many different art career options to choose from after this point. You can be an influencer. You can even set up your own blog or YouTube channel. You can teach classes and share your learnings with young aspiring artists.
And there you have it! The six sure-fire steps that will help you become an artist. These steps may seem sort of overwhelming to take in as a new artist. It does involve a lot of hard work and dedication, but you know that it will be worth it in the end when you’ve finally made it. Good things take time and becoming an artist is no different. But, to live your passion and do what you love, while also making a lot of money from it is a dream come true. Don’t wait around anymore thinking about your dream. Get started now and make it your reality. Good luck with your art journey!